.

.

.

Have You Ever Had Someone Say No To What You Offer?
By: Frank Wilson




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Of course you have. Objection handling is one of the biggest obstacles facing businesses today. Just imagine if everyone you came into contact with said yes, instead of no to what you offer. How profitable would your company be? Think about what it cost to get in front of a prospect. Now just imagine closing 5%, 10% or even 50% of all the people who said NO!

Here are some techniques you can use to increase your ability to overcome objections.

1) During your presentation you should have at least ten questions you can ask that will get a yes answer that builds value for your product(s) or service(s). This gets the prospect(s) in the habit of saying yes to you about your product(s) or service(s) as you make your presentation. For example: Can you see where overcoming objections more effectively will increase the profitability of your company? You had to invest time and energy to learn about your product(s) or service(s) before you could sell them. Doesn't it make sense to learn about overcoming objections to increase your business? In fact, you had to say yes to the question "Have you ever had someone say no to what you offer" before reading down this far? By now you have said yes three times.

2) Now that you are getting some of the smaller yeses, lets look at getting the big yes. In the sales process you have several options for closing the sale. The one used by most people is the "I am going to talk until my prospect buys or gives me an objection that I can not overcome" close. Unfortunately, this close does not leave you in control of the process. Each sales presentation is different from another. The objections are different as well as the personality and needs of your prospect. Industry related objections need to be addressed also.. However, you can never close a sale if you do not know what the "true objection" is. So how do you get the true objection? Here is an example. Let's take the one we get the most. The price objection. (The Prospect) "That's more than I was willing to spend." (You) "If we could justify the price is there any other reason you would not want to move forward?." (The Prospect) "No, it's the price." (You) "So what you are saying is that if I can make this affordable, you are willing to move forward today? Is that correct?" At this point the customer will say either yes or give you the real objection. You may hear the price objection often, but don't be fooled; it is rarely the real reason. Price objections are formed within your presentation. Actually it is your lack of value building during your presentation that causes price to be an objection 85% of the time. The other 15% of the time you will get this objection because you have not qualified your prospect adequately. You should know exactly where in the sales process you would close the sale.

My intention is to get you thinking of the sales process. Practice and be prepared for the entire sales process. You will get many objections as you meet with prospects. Some of these you will overcome, others you will not. What you want to do is increase the amount of the objections that you do overcome. I'll leave you with one other way to increase your closing ratio. Make a list of the five most common objections you receive from your prospects. Look at your presentation and develop ideas to build value during your presentation to overcome them. Work on developing questions and value in your product(s) or service(s) to handle these objections.


2004 All rights reserved.

- Author: Frank Wilson
Isn't it time you got Noticed?
www.noticeddesign.com