Research Sources of Additional Information: Water Transportation Occupations
Information on a program called “Careers Afloat”, which includes a substantial listing of training and employment descriptive information and contacts in the U.S., may be obtained through:
Information on merchant marine careers, training, and licensing requirements is available from any of the following organizations:
- Military Sealift Command, APMC, PO Box 120, Camp Pendleton, Virginia Beach, VA 23458-0120. Internet: http://www.sealiftcommand.com
- Seafarers’ International Union, 5201 Auth Way, Camp Springs, MD 20746.
- Paul Hall Center for Maritime Training and Education, P.O. Box 75, Piney Point, MD 20674-0075. Internet: http://www.seafarers.org/phc
- International Organization of Masters, Mates, and Pilots, 700 Maritime Blvd., Linthicum Heights, MD 21090-1941.
- U.S. Coast Guard National Maritime Center, 4200 Wilson Blvd., Suite 630, Arlington, VA 22203-1804. Internet: http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/index.htm