A Simple Sales Strategy: Talk to Yourself!
By: Tessa Stowe
You are about to speak to a potential client, go to a networking
meeting or give a presentation. What should you be saying to yourself in
those few minutes beforehand? If you spend that time saying what I propose
below, you will effortlessly and naturally become very attractive to your
potential clients. This approach is very powerful, I promise you.
What if, in those few minutes, you say to yourself:
* I desperately need this client.
* I want their money.
* I need to show them how good my services are.
* I need to get them to listen to me.
* I hope they think I am good enough.
* I need to remember my "script" and those objection handling and closing
* I don't think I am going to enjoy this.
Do you ever say these kinds of things to yourself?
Imagine how you are going to come across if you are be-ing like this?
Desperate? Unauthentic? Uncaring? Not relaxed? Attached to the outcome?
It's all about me, me, me. Like a salesperson? Oh no!
Instead, just suppose that in those few minutes, you say to yourself:
* I am about to have a conversation to explore if I can help.
* I really want to help.
* I want what's best for this person, even if they don't become my client.
* My focus is on what I can give, not what I can get.
* I am committed to helping but not attached to it.
* I am going to put myself in their shoes. I will look at things from their
* It's all about them, not me.
* I am going to listen, listen and listen.
* I have no expectations from this conversation.
* I am going to be me (open, honest, full of integrity, natural ...).
* I am going to enjoy this.
* I am going to forget about trying to sell them something.
Imagine now how you are going to come across if you are be-ing like this.
Authentic? Caring? Relaxed? Committed? It's all about them. Magnetic? Not
at all like a salesperson!
If you are be-ing this way when you are having a conversation, you will
quickly build rapport and trust; people will listen to you then. Talk about
your solution and products before you do this and what you say will fall on
I suggest you create your own written list by using mine as a starting
point. Add to it over time. Say these things, out loud preferably, to
yourself before you speak to any potential clients. Then sincerely (or it
will not work) be like this.
This may sound silly to some of you but it works. Eventually you will be
like this naturally and getting clients will become easier and easier.
People will find you magnetic.
This is a simple and yet very powerful technique. Please do not
underestimate it. Try it out for yourself and if you do, I promise, you'll
quickly be on the path to getting a lot more clients. It's all in the be-ing!
© 2005, Tessa Stowe, Sales Conversation. You are welcome to "reprint"
this article online as long as it remains complete and unaltered (including
the "about the author" info at the end) and all links are made live.
Tessa Stowe helps Coaches and Consultants stop struggling to sell, and
instead attract clients like magic! Her FREE e-course tells you how:
"Attract More Clients Naturally: 10 Simple Strategies That Work ... Even If
You Hate Selling!" Sign up now at http://www.attractmoreclientsnaturally.com