Are You Running Out of Time?
By: Copyright© Wendy McClelland
Do you know what's even more valuable than money to a small business? It's time - that's what! Why time?
Well you can never get more time, but you can always earn more money.
Once you've spent those minutes and hours you can't turn back the clock -
so spend them wisely.
Here's some time management tips to try:
1) Set strict office hours and stick to them - use an answering machine to
pick up calls after hours. Don't be tempted to "pick up just one more call".
2) Have a day timer (or hand held PDA) that you write everything down in
and carry with you.
3) If you're running late to pick up the kids call the school - keep
doctors/dentists/personal phone numbers in the book too - you can book
appointments while you're waiting in a line or stuck in traffic.
4) Keep a large calendar at home too - and make sure the whole family knows
what everyone else is doing.
5) Take care of yourself - you're the company's most valuable asset (eat
well, sleep enough and get some exercise)
6) If you find work is taking over your weekends for things like trade
shows, or other appointments, be sure to take the same amount of time off
during the week.
7) If you find you're really getting overloaded - write down what you do in
every hour for a whole day. This will really show you the way you spend
your time. This will also let you re-allocate your time to those things
that are most important to you. You may find you're spending 30 - 40% of
your time on time wasting tasks like answering non-essential emails or
phone calls. If you can schedule a certain time each day for these kinds of
tasks, OR delegate them to an assistant you will be able to spend your time
Do YOU have some time saving tips? Why not share them with other business
owners? Send in your tips to: firstname.lastname@example.org with "time saver tips" in the subject line.
Copyright © 2005 Wendy McClelland
Wendy McClelland is a motivational speaker, marketing innovator and
Certified Guerrilla Marketing Coach who specializes in teaching people to
"think without boundaries!" She is a past nominee for "Canadian
Entrepreneur of the Year" and her clients have included software
developers, an Olympic athlete and a wide range of business organizations.
She has spoken to 10,000+ conference attendees, about Marketing, Internet
Business and Motivation. You can contact her through her website