At Executive level it is vital that you perform an exhaustive career appraisal prior to launching your job search. You must be attuned to the elements both professionally and personally that influence your career decisions.
To assist you in creating an objective and directing your job search we recommend you answer the questions below relating to your previous experience and future career aspirations.
Providing answers to these questions will help you to determine where you are currently and where you need to get to in order to find job satisfaction and reach your ultimate career goals.
- What do you like most about your present role?
- What aspects of your role do you perform best?
- What do you dislike most about your present role?
- What tasks to you most dislike and tend to procrastinate over?
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaker points?
- How do you feel about the organization in which you work?
- How do you feel about your direct Manager?
- What type of relationship do you have with your direct Manager?
- How do you relate to your colleagues?
- How many hours do you work per week and what effect does this have on your family life?
- Where is your job based and what are the travel considerations?
- Is there travel involved in your job and if so how frequent and for what period are you away each quarter?
- What are the promotional opportunities?
- How quickly will the promotional opportunities be achieved?
- What further opportunity for growth is available?
- Are there further education opportunities on offer and how will undertaking these opportunities affect your career prospects?
- How do you identify with the business i.e. it’s products and services?
- What are the benefits of your role i.e. bonus / recognition?
- How satisfied are you with your remuneration?
- How do you think your Manager views you?
- How do you think your colleagues view you?
- How do your direct reports view you?
- How does your spouse/partner view your role?
- How do your children (if applicable) view your role?
- What do you find satisfying about your current role and its position within your life?
- What career aspirations remain unfulfilled?
- What can you influence in terms of career advancement?
- What accomplishments are you most proud of?
- What would you still like to overcome or change?
- What do you like about yourself?
- What do you dislike about yourself?
- What do you value in a role?
Providing answers to these questions will direct you in choosing the role that is right for you both professionally and personally. It allows you to determine the elements that are most important to you and creates a clear goal in your mind as to the niche you wish to carve out for yourself in your professional life.
It rules out the aspects of your career that have brought you frustration and defines where you need growth, opportunities and further experience.
Professional Resumes - Find your new job faster with a professional resume.